3. The Importance of being a Team
FEBRUARY 25, 2014, h.13:53
Today I risked. I risked my life in the survival of the Great C.
In a figurative sense, yes. But if it was not for Timothy, would I be here having to work overtime to pay a high tax collection box(which is not correct). 30 years. In Italy.
Luckily I have a group of people to rely on.
I do not know . Maybe in my case the 10 years spent playing basketball, and the subsequent mentality that I have “acquired”: the result of the team is more important than the result of the individual.
Italy , and our young people have forgotten what it means, or rather, we have forgotten this sentence .
At apolitical level, as in the rest of the world, we are tied to a prominent leader (see Berlusconi and Renzi), and not the party and the ideas that embodies them. Moreover, we are so anchored to the idea of Right & Left , which we did not realize how the content of these have become interchangeable.
In Italy in 2014, the things to do are really under the eyes of everyone.
Our government will succeed? Only if it manages to work like a team, forgetting hostile strategies and pre-determined negativity for each proposal, being optimistic and aware that we can defeat the Great C.
Sharing & Helping .
But even planning, dividing the tasks and responsibilities, establishing and respecting the Deadline.
As you know, when I’m not too busy actively surviving Great C and working, I carry on a business project .
I don’t want to talk about the idea(I’m too scared of being copied and replicated faster than I can develop my own idea ), but as I said earlier, I will tell you steps and essential elements of my career as an aspiring startupper. And maybe, sometimes, I will provide you some clues.
Today I am talking about the importance of being a team.
The right balance .
My team consists of 8 people.
Originally we were :
– Romina, called Pigna, not because she looks like one of those things that are on the trees, nor that she’s a drug user, but just because she’s a very fussy person, and not surprisingly she takes deals with the legal, accounting and tax things;
– Francesco, the first developer, who with David (arrived later),we have sadly nicknamed “I Nerd per caso”(in Italy exists a musical group called “I Neri per caso”), our geeks .;
– Vittorio(Victor if you prefere), the undersigned, the managerial figure of the group, called the Astronaut. This will be explained it later.
Then there are added in order :
– Luca, our Marketing Manager, called the Thinker;
– Sofia, the designer, simply D;
– Enrico, the Sales Manager, the man who would be able to sell an Ipad to my grandmother(who died), called The Wolf(references to recent Scorsese film are not random ) ;
– And finally , last but not least, Timothy, called Tim, the all-rounder.
Our skills and capabilities are blended with each other , fortunately , and I repeat , fortunately, we have very different ideas among us and we often fight. Which is good .. if we had not had the verve to fight that night, this idea would never have been born (we might have had trouble even if we had not bought the n(which stands for n-number unquantifiable) beers).
It’s this desire to ” succeed together “, that will make the difference.
In good times and bad , such as in a marriage. Also because we are aware that from the organizational point of view, for now, we are able to cover any position needed to create a start-up. A recipe created with a good dose of Devolpers , Lawyers & Economists, Advertisers & Dealers, and the right touch of madness (and also on this we will be back) .
But back to this morning .
I was at work without the possibility of moving, wrapped between one meeting and another.
Today a Deadline. And I forget to respect it. Submit the application for appeal.
Moments of sheer panic. Then, I managed to think: Timothy. It was enough to give him a call. He perfectly knew perfectly what to do and he did it .
I am safe. At least for now. At least today.
And all thanks to Tim, who in reality is not even called that. But simply embodies so well the idea of team that we couldn’t not nickname him so, Tim( giving credit to the stereotype that we young Italians do not know English—In Italy the pronunciation of Team is the same of Tim). In any case, Tim is in charge of operational aspects(perhaps because is the only unemployed person in the group), with a very Calcuttian availability.
Back to work, I used my break to write, this time, outdoors, in a city park, one of those oases(safety points), within this city, scared like many others, from The Great C.